Super easy to make when you're in a bind for a quick, delicious meal! This version of chicken and broccoli tastes just like the original, but is actually good for you!
Yields: 4 servings
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1 head broccoli, chopped into small florets
- 1 package organic chicken breast, cubed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 package long grain brown rice ( approx. 2 cups)
- himalayan pink salt & pepper, for seasoning
For the sauce:
- remaining flour from chicken
- 1 cup organic chicken stock
- 1/4 cup raw local honey
- 1/4 cup braggs liquid aminos (soy sauce substitute)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil (optional)
- Toss the chicken cubes with the whole wheat flour, salt and pepper until coated evenly. Remove the pieces from the bowl, shake off the excess flour and save in the bowl for the sauce.
- Heat EVOO in a large cast iron or cooking pan over medium heat, then add the chopped onion, mushrooms and broccoli. Stir frequently and cook about 10 minutes, or until broccoli softens slightly.
- Remove the veggie mixture from the pan, add the remaining EVOO, and add the chicken pieces. Cook about 10 minutes, or until cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, use the bowl with the remaining flower and combine all the ingredients for the sauce and mix until smooth.
- Once the chicken is done, add back the veggie mixture, and mix in the sauce. Cook over medium-low heat, and let the sauce simmer - stirring occasionally.
- Once sauce starts to thicken, toss in the cooked rice, let cool, break out some chopsticks and enjoy!!!