The perfect blend of sweet + spice. All you need is an oven-safe (cast iron) skillet to make this YUMMY recipe — gluten-free and vegan (if desired), this is the perfect weeknight dinner! Who said pumpkin was only an October thing?! Not in this house!
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 poblano pepper, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- 4 heaping cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 ½ cups red enchilada sauce — I 🧡 Siete Foods
- ½ cup organic pumpkin puree
- ⅓ cup plain full-fat Greek yogurt
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 6 tortillas, cut into 2-inch thick strips (again, I use Siete's Cassava GF Tortillas)
- *1 cup freshly grated Colby Jack cheese, divided (sub Monterey Jack)
- *½ cup freshly grated Gruyere cheese
- 3 tbsp pepitas (pumpkin seeds), preferably roasted and salted
- Fresh sliced avocado and chopped cilantro for garnish
*Avoid these if you're dairy free!
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Heat oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add onion, poblano pepper, and bell pepper. Cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Stir in chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and smoked paprika; cook 1 more minute.
2. Add half of the spinach to skillet, and cook, stirring constantly, until greens are wilted. Add remaining half, along with black beans, and continue cooking until all spinach leaves wilt.
3. Carefully pour in enchilada sauce, pumpkin, puree, sour cream, and ½ cup of the shredded Colby Jack cheese. Stir constantly until the cheese has melted into the mixture. Season with salt.
4. Add the tortilla strips and carefully stir until all the strips are well-coated in sauce. Sprinkle remaining ½ cup Colby Jack and Gruyere cheese overtop, and transfer enchiladas to the oven. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the cheese has fully melted and the mixture is bubbly.
⭐️Remove from oven and garnish with pepitas, along with toppings of choice (an extra dollop of Greek yogurt, slices of avocado, etc).
🥩 Optionally, you can add your choice of an animal protein as well (ground chicken, turkey, venison, bison, etc.)
SHARE with a friend and ENJOY! 🧡