Whether you're a pumpkin fan or not, this simple sauce is sure to be a favorite this fall. Serve with your favorite pasta or squash noodles, and maybe even add some meatballs to the mix- you won't be disappointed!
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- *1/2 cup whipped cream cheese, mixed with 2 tbsp milk*
- himalayan pink salt and pepper to taste
- 1/8 cup chicken broth, to thin out sauce
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp ground or fresh sage
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 cup parmesan cheese - pumpkin seeds for garnish, optional
- prepared pasta or squash noodles of choice
-OPTIONAL: prepared beef, turkey or venison meatballs
* To make diary free, sub 1/2 cup raw cashews soaked in water overnight, then drained. In a blender, add cashews to 1 1/2 cups of water and blend until creamy.*
Heat EVOO over medium heat in a large sauce pan. Add garlic and sage, cooking for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add pumpkin, nutmeg, parmesan and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Slowly incorporate the cream cheese mixture (or cashew mixture) to pan, stirring constantly until completely incorporated.
Cook over low heat for about 5 minutes longer, adding chicken broth until you have desired consistency.
Serve over your pasta or squash noodle of choice, and garnish with pumpkin seeds (optional). Sprinkle some more parmesan cheese when serving, and don't forget about the option to add your favorite meatballs to the mix!