With only 20 minutes to make, this protein packed dinner is sure to be a weeknight favorite!
- 4 tsp extra virgin olive oil, divided in half
- 1 pound raw shrimp, 26–30 count (peeled and deveined)
- 1 tsp pink himalayan salt,divided in half
- 1/2 tsp chili powder, divided in half
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp raw local honey
- 1 tbsp liquid aminos (or low sodium soy sauce)
- 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tsp of the olive oil over medium high heat
2. Add the shrimp, then sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp chili powder. Sauté just until the shrimp are pink and cooked through, about 4-6 minutes. Immediately remove the shrimp to a plate so they don't overcook.
3. Heat the remaining olive oil in the same skillet, then add the onion. Let cook until the onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
4. Add the uncooked quinoa, cayenne, honey, liquid aminos and remaining salt and chili powder. Stir well to coat the quinoa and let brown for 2 minutes.
5. Pour in the chicken broth, then increase the heat to high and bring the broth to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat to a simmer until the quinoa is tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Uncover and fluff with a fork.
6. Zest the lemon into the pan, then squeeze the lemon juice and add the parsley to the skillet as well. Toss to combine, then top with the reserved shrimp. Sprinkle with additional fresh parsley and serve warm.
*Option to serve with a green vegetable like steamed broccoli or sauteed brussel sprouts!