Homemade Hoisin Sauce
The perfect healthy Hoisin sauce, without any of the additives or preservatives that come with the store bought version. This sauce is perfect for teriyaki sauce, asian dishes, duck recipes, healthy marinades, stir-frys and more!
- Juice of 1 orange (remove any pits)
- 2 tbsp almond butter or cashew butter
- 1 clove garlic, grated or minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated or minced
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 5 tbsp liquid aminos or coconut aminos
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp ground fennel seed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes or powder
- 1 tsp tomato paste or organic ketchup
Add all ingredients to a small saucepan and place over medium heat.
Bring to boil. Turn the heat down to very low, whisk and simmer gently for 5 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent sticking. The mixture will thicken and darken.
Remove to a ramekin or small mason jar and set aside to cool.
*Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.