Zenchiladas: The perfect low carb dinner when your craving something savory and delicious!
Yields: 4 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
1 1/3 cups red enchilada sauce (1 medium can)
1 package organic chicken breasts
1 package organic, low fat monterey jack/cheddar cheese
himalayan pink salt & black pepper
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 medium onion, chopped
1 organic bell pepper, chopped
1 can black beans
1 can refried black beans
3-4 zucchini, sliced into long, thin sheets
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 avocado, sliced for topping
1. On a cutting board, use a Y-shaped vegetable peeler to peel thin, long slices of zucchini. Set aside.
Turn oven on high broil. Arrange thin sliced chicken breasts on a baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Cook under high broil, 7 minutes on each side.
2. While chicken is cooking, in a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add peppers, onions and black beans- cook, stirring until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, and chili powder to the mixture and season with salt. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
3. Remove chicken from oven and shred, then change the oven temperature to 350 F.
4. Add the shredded chicken to the large skillet mixture with half of the red enchilada sauce and mix thoroughly.
5. Lay out 3 zucchini slices, slightly overlapping, and top with a spoonful of chicken mixture. Roll up and transfer to a baking dish. Repeat with remaining zucchini and chicken mixture.
6. Spoon the remaining cup of enchilada sauce over zucchini enchiladas and top with the shredded cheeses. Bake until cheese is melty and enchiladas are warmed through and golden brown, about 20 minutes.
7. While enchiladas are cooking, heat the refried beans on the stovetop.
8. Serve the zucchini enchiladas with a side of refried beans and fresh sliced avocado. Enjoy!