Simple ingredients, simple prep. Keep this recipe handy for a treat everyone is sure to love!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp pink himalayan salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp organic butter (melted and cooled)
- 1/2 cup 100% pure maple syrup or raw honey
- 1 large organic egg, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely grated zucchini (only squeeze out some water, not all)
- 1/2 cup finely grated carrot
OPTIONAL (pick one or a few of the following):
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes, unsweetened
Preheat the oven to 350F, and make sure the rack is in the center of the oven. Coat a muffin pan with extra virgin olive oil spray or put in cupcake liners.
Combine flour, cinnamon, salt and baking soda in a bowl and whisk until combined well.
In a larger mixing bowl, combine butter, maple syrup (or honey), egg and vanilla extract.
Add the flour mixture into the bowl with the wet ingredients and stir until just barely combined.
Add the zucchini, carrot and any optional mix-ins and stir in gently, until they are just distributed.
Fill each muffin cup about 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until you can insert a toothpick that comes out clean.
Let cool in the pan for a few minutes, then remove to a cooling rack for about 5 minutes. You can keep these in an airtight container at room temperature for a few days, or store in the fridge for a week, or in the freezer for a few months!